SOLAR SHIELD is a water-borne combination of high-performance elastomeric acrylics, and resin additives which produces a tough, yet flexible coating film. Designed for performance and durability, SOLAR SHIELD contains 3 unique ceramics to block up to 89% of Solar Heat entering a structure due to Visual Light,Ultra Violet(UV), and Infrared (IR). SOLAR SHIELD is a flexible membrane with low permeability that can greatly reduce expansion and contraction of a roof. It also prevents corrosion and surface deterioration.
- As a one-coat insulation system on exteriors to block the initial loading of Solar Heat gain. (roofs and sidewalls)
- As an insulation system for interiorapplications.
- As insulation for transportation vehicles, refrigerated containers, reefer trucks, and railroad cars when appliedtotheexterior.
- Exterior application to reduce or eliminate condensation on HVAC systems, tanks, spheres, storage systems, and concretewalls.
- As a system over metal, concrete, masonry, and wood to stop moisture penetration andcorrosion.
- Ability to resist dirt, mold, mildew, and pollution to increase longevity, and reduce surfacemaintenance.
- As a topcoat over metalroofs.
- Applied over tent fabrics to provide insulation & remain flexible.
SOLAR SHIELD can be applied to metal, concrete, masonry and wood. The application can be spray, brush or roller. For specific instructions on surface preparation, mixing and application, please refer to the SPI’s application instructions for SOLAR SHIELD. This coating should never be applied at less than 18 mils wet (450 microns), 9.0 mils dry (225 microns), each coat.
Designed with same ceramic compounds as in SUPER THERM, which has the following list of ceramic insulation results:
- Exterior insulation against Solar Radiation
- (Guarded hot box; ASTMC236)
- Blocks 99.5% of infrared / up to 68% sound blockage
- UL (Underwriters Laboratory) approved
- Flame Spread Test (ASTM E84; 0 smoke, 0flame)
- Class “A” Flame Spread
- Marine Approvals: - American Bureau of Shipping; USCG
- USDA Approved
- Solids: By weight 54.48% / By Volume: 49.72%(+/-2%)
- 30-60 minutes to tack free at 70°F(21°C)
- Overcoat: 2 hours when 70°F (21°C) at 40%Relative Humidity
- Full Cure: 21days
- Lead-, chromate-, andasbestos-free
- Cures byevaporation
- Weight: 10.25 lbs. per gallon
- Vehicle Type: Acrylic blend
- Shelf Life: Up to 5 years if unopened under appropriate storage conditions (SeeMSDS).
- VOC Level: 67.2 grams/liter, 0.561gal/lbs.
- Viscosity: 105 – 110KU;
- pH: 8.5 –9.0
- 88 sq.ft./gallon (8sqm): 18 mils (450 microns) wet/9.0 mils (225 microns) dry
- Maximum Surface Temperature when applying:150°F (65°C)
- Minimum Surface Temperature when applying: 40°F (5°C)
- Maximum Surface Temperature after curing:300°F (149°C)
- Do not apply over 18 mils wet per application. Allow to dry down before adding additional thickness.