Rust Grip® is a tough, one-part, moisture-cure polyurethane coating that absorbs atmospheric moisture to cure. Rust Grip® is loaded with a metallic pigment for strength and is also resistant to chemical solvents and acid splash. Upon curing, Rust Grip® provides a protective coating film of superior adhesion and flexibility and is resistant to abrasion and impact.
Rust Grip® can be used as a primer or as a one-coating system. It is patented to encapsulate lead-based paints and other toxic materials, including asbestos. Rust Grip® can be applied over pressure-washed, completely dry flash rust and firmly bonded commercial paints. In most cases, a white or near-white blasting is not required. A light to medium surface rust is preferred as the profile.
- Rust Grip® is designed to withstand acids, salts and caustics with no loss of strength (submergible in 100% nitric acid without any effects)
- Passed ASTM B117 15,000 hours of salt spray testing which far exceeds the marine specifications
- 20+ year lifespan on substrates under normal conditions
- Strengthens to 6,780 psi (or 470 bar) tensile strength at full cure in 3 weeks
- Extremely tough, UV resistant and is not affected by hostile environments
- Rated as a Class A fire coating - Class A fire retardants have a flame spread rating of between zero and 25. These materials are effective against severe fire exposure
- Fast working – begins its cure cycle within an hour, penetrating and swelling to seal surface pores and it works in such a way that high humidity quickens the dry-cure cycle
- Easy-to-use – long pot life (up to three years shelf life unopened), no catalyzation, no two-part mixing
|VOC Level||380 g/L, 3.17 lbs./gal.|
|Dry Time (at 70˚F)||30-60 minutes to tack free|
|Hydroscopic||Cures by absorbing moisture in the air|
- Rust Grip® protects steel, aluminum, concrete, wood, fiberglass and other surfaces
- Can be applied directly over rusted surfaces after loose material is removed
- Can be used as a primer for metal before over-coating (e.g.: with SUPER THERM)
- Encapsulates and seals lead-based paints, asbestos, other hazardous materials
- Can be used to protect floors against wear and damage
- Can be used as an anti-slip coating when combined with aggregates
- Can be used as a protection from acid splash or pooling
- Can be used as a moisture protective membrane to stop moisture penetration, contaminants, mold and mildew
- Instantly seals, strengthens & protects, while stopping rust & corrosion in its path!
- Rust Grip® can be applied to concrete or masonry substrates. The coating can be applied by spray, brush or roller.
- Minimal surface prep required for most surfaces - No sandblasting!
- Exceptions – ISO 8501 Sa 2.5 near white blast cleaning will be required on galvanized surfaces, Zinc rich primers and presence of mill scale on hot rolled steel.
- For specific instructions on surface preparation, mixing and application, please refer to application instructions in the Technical Specs below.