DESCRIPTIONRust Grip® – E is a two-part epoxy coating system that has been designed with specific additives to promote adhesion when used on metal and contains metal pigment to strengthen coating and retard chalking. Rust Grip® – E was developed to be applied to metal surfaces that cannot be dry enough to use traditional RUST GRIP®. It can be used directly to wet or damp metal surfaces and maintain excellent adhesion to prevent further surface corrosion. It is a water repelling epoxy for use under water or in areas where constant splashing or condensation is a problem. It is resistant to chemicals and solvents, and is designed to be applied directly to concrete, masonry and metal. Rust Grip® – E must be top-coated to prevent chalking.
- For metal that is moist or in high humidity.
- To encapsulate existing rusted surfaces.
- To protect metal with condensation issues.
- To line tanks.
- Very good acid and good alkali resistance
- As a primer before ENAMO GRIP, LINING KOTE or other coatings are applied.
RUST GRIP-E can be applied to metal, as well as concrete or masonry substrates. The coating can be applied by airless sprayer, brush or roller. For specific instructions on surface preparation, mixing and application, please refer to the SPI’s application instructions for RUST GRIP-E.
NOTE: This product must not be applied on or within 2 inches of chlorinated rubber.
NOTE: Never use mineral spirits to prep surfaces or for thinning.
- USDA approved
- ASTM B117 – Salt spray corrosion test, 5000 hrs
- ASTM D1654 – 450 hour evaluation over black steel
- Adhesion: ASTM class 5B – no film pull off
FIELD TEST HAVE PROVEN:
- The coating has outstanding adhesion
- The coating is resistant to solvents and chemical splashes
- The coating is flexible, yet resistant to impact
MINIMUM SPREAD RATES (mil thickness)
- Wet Surfaces – Apply 2-3 applications of RUST GRIP-E @ 200 sq ft/gallon; (18 sq mtr/gallon); 8 mils wet/4 mils dry (200 microns wet / 100 dry) each coat. This will leave a total thickness of 8- 12 dry mils (200-300 microns dry)
- Dry Surfaces – Apply 1 coat of RUST GRIP-E (8 mils wet/4 mils dry)/18 sq.mtr./gallon-200 microns wet/100 dry).
NOTE: Surface and ambient temperatures will determine cure-time. Introduction of heat beneath or over surface will enhance the cure time.
- Induction Period: 20 minutes at 70°F (21°C).
- No induction time is necessary over 90°F (32°C).
- Reacted Solids: By weight 69% / By volume 53%
- 30-60 MINUTES TO TACK FREE AT 70°F (21°C)
- Overcoat window is three hours or less at 70°F (21°C)
- Ultimate tensile strength, psi (ASTM D2370) = 1166
- Cures by chemical reaction
- Reacted Weight: 10.87 lbs. per gallon
- Modulus of Elasticity (ASTM D2370)
- Shelf Life: Up to 3 years (unopened) under appropriate storage condition (see MSDS)
- Impact Resistance (ASTM D2794-93) – 1kg @ 14 inches, no cracking
- Mix Ratio; 4 part base to 1 part curing agent by volume
- Reactive VOC - Silver: 2.01 lbs/gal; 241 grams per liter
- Resistant to mild concentrations of solvents, chemicals and acids
- Adhesion by tape test (ASTM D3359-09) = 5A
- Maximum Surface Temp when applying; 150°F (65°C)
- Minimum Surface Temp when applying; 40°F (4°C)
- Maximum Surface Temp after curing; 400°F (205°C)
- Failure will occur at a constant temperature equal to or greater than 400°F (205°C); consult SPI for intermittent temperatures greater than 300°F (149°C)
- Viscosity: 90 seconds, #4 ford cup @ 74°F
Do not use this product without first taking all appropriate safety measures to prevent property damage and injuries. These measures may include, without limitation: proper ventilation, use of proper lamps, wearing of protective clothing and masks, tenting, and proper separation of application areas. This coating is flammable. Keep away from fire, or other sources of ignition. For more specific safety procedures, please refer to the RUST GRIP-E Material Safety Data Sheet.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.